The Central Regional Cancer Program oversees the quality and delivery of cancer services for the residents of North York, York Region and South Simcoe County.
More information on how Regional Cancer Programs are structured, as well as information on all 13 regions, is available on the Regional Cancer Program page.
A snapshot of cancer trends in the Central Regional Cancer Program is summarized in the Cancer System Quality Index (CSQI) 2015 report for Central LHIN.
Many hospitals and labs provide screening mammograms through the Ontario Breast Screening Program. To find the screening sites closest to you and find out how to make an appointment, visit Ontario Breast Screening Program Appointment and Locations.
About the Stronach Regional Cancer Centre
At Southlake, it is our Vision to provide Shockingly Excellent Service. The dream to provide excellent quality cancer services closer to home for residents of York Region and South Simcoe County is one that began many years ago and was fully realized in 2010 with the opening of the centerpiece of our Regional Cancer Program, the Stronach Regional Cancer Centre at Southlake, in Newmarket.
Housed in a purpose-built four-storey, 90,000-square foot facility, the Stronach Regional Cancer Centre includes a radiation therapy program, systemic treatment program, clinical trials program, supportive care program, and outpatient clinics. Our state-of-the-art facility at Southlake Regional Health Centre represents an advanced model for cancer care, combining sophisticated cancer technology with expert, patient-focused services and supportive care.
In-patient and out-patient cancer services across the Southlake campus include a comprehensive Diagnostic Assessment Program, which utilizes the most up-to-date screening and diagnostic equipment, designed to detect cancer at its earliest stages; expedited treatment, recognizing the critical importance of early intervention for successful treatment outcomes; state-of-the-art image-guided radiation therapy technology and information systems—the current gold standard for radiation treatment worldwide; and a full range of supportive care services to address the psychosocial needs of patients and their families.
Cancer Care Ontario Regional Vice President, Central Regional Cancer Program
Dr. David Fell has held the position of Vice-President, Patient Experiences, Regional Cancer and Cardiac Programs Southlake Regional Health Centre, as well as that of Regional Vice President, Cancer Services for the Central Regional Cancer Program, since April 2014.
He joined Southlake Regional Health Centre in 1999 as Physician Leader, Regional Cardiac Care Program and Chief of Cardiology responsible for the implementation and development of advanced tertiary cardiac care services. Dr. Fell led the program to establish a clear vision and strategic plan, and recruit highly specialized clinicians. Under his leadership, the program grew to become the third largest regional cardiac care program in Ontario and has received provincial, national and international recognition.
Dr. Fell graduated in Medicine at Queen's University, Kingston, in 1981 and completed his residency in Internal Medicine and then Cardiology at the University of Toronto. Between 1986 and 1988, he was awarded a two-year Fellowship in Cardiology at Toronto General Hospital to conduct research in nuclear cardiology and adult congenital heart disease.
Dr. Fell holds a number of professional affiliations, including: the Ontario Medical Association; College of Physician and Surgeons of Ontario; the Canadian Medical Association; the American College of Cardiology; the American Heart Association; and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. He was the winner of the Ursala Bangs Award at the University of Toronto's Cardiology Research Competition in 1987 and 1988, and was recognized with Southlake's Physician Award of Excellence in 2010 – the Hospital's highest level of recognition for service and practice excellence.
- Cancer Surgery
Dr. Catherine Mahut, Southlake Regional Cancer Centre
- Systemic Treatment (Chemotherapy)
Dr. Peter Anglin, Southlake Regional Cancer Centre
- Radiation Treatment
Dr. Woodrow Wells, Southlake Regional Cancer Centre
- Palliative Care
Dr. Cindy So, Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Primary Care
Dr. Marla Ash, North York General Hospital
- Psychosocial Oncology
Dr. Mark Katz, Southlake Regional Cancer Centre
Dr. Shaheda Handy, Southlake Regional Cancer Centre
- Colorectal Screening & GI (Gastrointestinal) Endoscopy
Dr. David Baron, North York General Hospital
- Colposcopy & Cervical Screening
Dr. Erica Mantay, Southlake Regional Cancer Centre
- Breast Imaging
Dr. Rene Shumak, Ontario Breast Screening Program, Cancer Care Ontario
- Diagnostic Imaging
Dr. Lisa Thain, Mackenzie Health
- Patient Education
Roseanne Pegler, Southlake Regional Cancer Centre
- Dr. David Fell (Chair), Regional Vice President, Central Regional Cancer Program
- Catherine Cotton, Director, Stronach Regional Cancer Centre & Regional Director, Central Regional Cancer Program
- Roseanne Pegler, Executive Lead, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Dr. Peter Anglin, Regional Lead, Systemic Treatment, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Dr. Marla Ash, Regional Lead, Primary Care, North York General Hospital
- Dr. David Baron, Regional Lead, GI Endoscopy, North York General Hospital
- Dr. Stan Feinberg, North York General Hospital
- Dr. Shaheda Handy, Regional Lead, Pathology, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Dr. Mark Katz, Regional Lead, Psychosocial Oncology, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Dr. Catherine Mahut, Regional Lead, Surgical Oncology, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Dr. Erica Mantay, Regional Lead, Colposcopy, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Dr. Rene Shumak, Regional Lead, Breast Screening, Cancer Care Ontario
- Dr. Cindy So, Regional Lead, Palliative Care, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Dr. Lisa Thain, Regional Lead, Diagnostic Imaging, Mackenzie Health
- Dr. Woodrow Wells, Regional Lead, Radiation, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Marg Czaus, Chief Nursing Officer, Humber River Hospital
- Shannon Landry, Vice President, Stevenson Memorial Hospital
- Jennifer MacInnis-Smith, Manager, Regional Prevention & Screening, Southlake Regional Health Center
- Shellyna Moledina, Director, Markham Stouffville Hospital
- Frances Reinholdt, Executive Director, Mackenzie Health
- Lynn Singh, Director, Strategic Initiatives at Central Local Health Integration Network (CLHIN)
- Anna Tupis, Director, North York General Hospital
- Simmy Wan, Senior Planner, CLHIN
- Jennifer Walker, Southlake Regional Health Centre