The Ontario Palliative Care Network (OPCN)
Visit the new Ontario Palliative Care Network website.
The OPCN was launched on March 11, 2016. More information on the OPCN launch can be found in the news release issued by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Who We Are
We are a partnership of community stakeholders, including health service providers, health system planners, patients and their families.
What We Are Doing
We are working with our partners and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to transform palliative care in Ontario. This important work will help to address the gaps within the current system to ensure Ontarians have access to high quality palliative care.
- Act as the principal advisor to the government for quality and coordinated palliative care in Ontario
- Be accountable for quality improvement initiatives, data and performance measurement and system level coordination of palliative care in Ontario
- Support regional implementation of high-quality and high-value palliative care
What the New OPCN Means for:
- Patients – Provides patients with the right information to understand and evaluate care options to improve their palliative and end-of-life care experience, which will translate into more person-centered and accessible care for all Ontarians, across all settings.
- Healthcare providers – Improves providers ability to offer high-quality palliative care to people who need it through centralized and coordinated access to resources.
- Healthcare organizations – Enables all care organizations to plan an appropriate allocation strategy based on regional demand and capacity. This will ensure the right mix of palliative care is delivered in the right place at the right time for all Ontarians.
- Provincial organizations – Presents partners with better information for decision-making and planning while enhancing the capacity to plan at a provincial level. It will ensure an appropriate balance of palliative resources across the entire healthcare system. Many of the gaps in the current system will be addressed with creation of this provincial level network and provide accountability that will drive system improvements.
- Partnership and community engagement will be the keys to success. The palliative care communities across the province are the foundation and cornerstone of a seamless and integrated palliative care system.
- The work of the OPCN enables more person-centred and accessible care for all Ontarians, across all care settings.
- For information, please contact the OPCN secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wed, Mar 01, 2017